Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Muffin Anyone?

I love making this basic whole wheat muffin mix because they always taste great no matter what add ins you use. And they always come out moist, puffed and delicious!

At the end of this recipe I will share with you a list of some of my favorite mix ins.



Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
*1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
*2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs

*If you want to cut down on sugar, you can add as little as 3/4 cup
*Can be replaced with 2 tbsp lemon juice plus milk to make 2 cups


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a very large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, vanilla and eggs; mix well. Add the liquid to the dry; stir just until moistened. Stirring too much will result in dry, hard muffins! At this point you may refrigerate up to 5 days if desired.

Add in any add ins you want. Spoon into lined muffin pans. Bake for 20 - 25 mins. Makes 24 muffins.


Add in ideas:

Apple Pie: Diced Granny Smith apples, raisins and cinnamon

Tropical Delight: Fresh peaches or pineapple and shredded unsweetened coconut

Good Morning Muffins: Cranberries, sunflower seeds, chopped pecans, organic orange rind (grated), diced oranges, raisins and shredded carrot

Berry Bonanza: Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie: Strawberries and diced rhubarb


Also, try sprinkling some super yummy toppings on top too! Like oatmeal, chopped nuts, or if you're feeling naughty you could even sprinkle a little brown sugar on top...

Try serving warm with a creamy yogurt spread instead of butter (find the recipe on the December 27th post).

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I am a fan of any muffin recipe that includes buttermilk and this sounds fantastic for when I didn't really plan ahead!

    Thanks for sharing the recipe Chrissy. I'm definitely going to try the Good Morning Muffins as soon as I have access to an oven. Any approximation of how many cups of add-ons I should add or will I be free to just add away as my heart pleases? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! The Good Morning Muffins are my absolute fave! I never follow a recipe when it comes to adding flavor. I just go with whatever I'm feeling! I personally like it with lots and lots of orange chunks and cranberries. I can never get enough!

    Add away Moeno!

    ReplyDelete